The Indonesian National Pewayangan / Puppetry Secretariat (SENA WANGI) is a social and cultural organization established on 12 August 1975, and it is currently located in Jakarta. The organization’s basic tasks involve coordinating activities for conserve and develop wayang and the art of puppet performances in Indonesia.
SENA WANGI is the national secretariat of wayang and puppetry art organizations. Its members are various wayang artists and cultural experts as well as prominent members of society. SENA WANGI is an independent and self-supporting social organization endeavoring to develop wayang as a force in the field of national culture.
In its effort to conserve and develop wayang, SENA WANGI envisions making it one of the pillars of national culture. To achieve this end, the art of wayang should become a vehicle and mouthpiece of culture to uplift the quality and standards of humanity.
- To establish its role as a body for conserving, preserving, and innovating the art of wayang
- To develop wayang arts according to present challenges
- To increase society’s appreciation of wayang arts, especially among the younger generation
- To spread within society and into the lives of the people the philosophical values and moral messages contained in wayang arts
- To apply management principles, including communication and collaboration with institutions and individuals within Indonesia and overseas, in developing wayang art
- To create an institution for critiquing wayang arts
The strategic program of SENA WANGI involves four basic programs—namely, formulation and establishment of policy for conserving and developing wayang; research and development; documentation and information; and overseas connections. Implementing the strategic program includes the following tasks among others.
- Forming and establishing policy for wayang conservation and development
- Researching and developing wayang, both classically and innovatively
- Documenting and informing about wayang throughout Indonesia using the Wayang Database Centre (PDWI) and its website
- Developing organizations, bodies, and traditional learning institutions of wayang (sanggar)
- Holding seminars and other meetings
- Developing human resources involved with wayang—namely artists, experts, and lovers of the art
- Developing critiquing standards
- Maintaining good connections with international organizations, foundations, and experts
- Increase the abilities of the organization and its committee members in carrying out their duties
- Carry on close and effective collaboration with government bodies and departments as well as private organizations and individuals within Indonesia and overseas, for instance by organizing friends of wayang
Research and Development
- Research critiques of wayang, the noble values contained in wayang, and the development of wayang along with the challenges of the age
- Develop classic wayang as well as new innovations
- Conserve and develop rare styles of wayang Documentation and Information about Wayang
- Research and document all existing types of wayang found in Indonesia (It is estimated that there are more than a hundred types of wayang.)
- Develop PDWI (Indonesia Centre for Wayang Database), a multimedia database containing information regarding all aspects of wayang (This electronic data center is accessible nationally and internationally.)
Publish books, such as the Encyclopedia of Wayang, manuscripts for books on wayang, and a journal and upgrade the wayang magazine Cempala and others.
Appreciation of Wayang
- Motivate organizations, especially PEPADI (Indonesian Puppeteer Union), a traditional learning institution of wayang, as well as private and governmental bodies related to wayang arts, to organize performances
- Organize periodic wayang festivals (The Indonesian Wayang Week is held once every five years, and various wayang festivals and performances are held annually.)
- Include wayang performances in a special package for broadcast media (TV program, film, video, etc.)
- Pioneer and motivate the formation of an ASEAN Puppetry Association (APA) as a form of ASEAN collaboration in the social and cultural field
- Participate in the international puppetry organization, UNIMA (Union Internationale de la Marionnette)
- Collaborate with UNESCO to conserve and develop wayang, which has become a cultural masterpiece of the world
- Participate in various puppetry festivals, meetings, and other international events
- Collaborate and communicate with puppetry artists and experts overseas
Based on the eighth Congress of SENA WANGI on 20 and 21 October 2011, the General Chairman of SENA WANGI is Mr Suparmin Sunjoyo and the Secretary General is Mr Hari Suwasono from 2011 to 2016.